Applied Quantum Technology (AQT) Solar deals with thin-film solar cell manufacturing technology. The company develops CIGS (copper-indium-gallium-diselenide) thin-film solar cells. The company aims to achieve the best cost/performance ratio of any solar cell manufacturer. The company was established in 2007 and headquartered at Sunnyvale, California. The company has raised approximately USD 4.6 million in a private debt offering as of April, 2011.
Business Line, Products and Service Offerings
AQT Solar manufactures (CIGS) solar cells using copper, indium, gallium, sulfur and selenium as the main inputs to convert solar energy into electricity. The company claims that these CIGS cells can replace conventional Crystalline Silicon (Si) Cells as the CIGS cells harvest more energy per watt as compared to Si cells.
The company has applied for “control of Composition Profiles in Annealed CIGS Absorbers” patent.
The company has commercial as well as channel partners. The company works with module manufacturers and engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) firms. The company is partner with Solar Enertech, HelioPower and Intevac. Some of the universities and institutions partners include Stanford University, University of California (Berkeley), University of California (Santa Cruz), University of Illinois and NREL.
The company is planning to set up a solar cell factory in South Carolina (2011) that will start with 30-40 MW of annual production capacity and assumed to reach around 1,000 MW by end of 2014. The company also plans to create 1,000 jobs by 2014.
- Dr. Michael Bartholomeusz- CEO & Co-founder
- Mariana Munteanu- Vice President & Co-founder
- Dr. Brian Bartholomeusz- Vice President of Corporate Development and Co-founder
- Kaichui “Skip” Wong- Vice President of Operations
- The company was named as one of the five “Cool Vendors” in April 2010 “cool Vendors in Solar Energy, 2010” as reported by Gartner, Inc., on May 6, 2010
- On May 24, 2010, the company announced partnership with Solar Enertech and HelioPower (Solar Companies).
- On April 7, 2010, the company signed a business agreement with Intevac in which Intevac will provide AQT with equipment for current and future production needs.
1145 Sonora Court
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Phone: (408) 727-5800