Evonik Industries

Evonik Industries was established under this name in 2007, but its Chemicals, Energy and Real Estate business areas have a background of more than 150 years of business, social, and technological history. The company operates in the area of specialty chemicals with a recent focus on Nanotechnology based chemicals. This is a privately held company under the joint ownership of RAG-Stiftung and CVC Capital Partners.

As of 2010, the company reported a revenue of USD 18.8 billion, EBIT (Earnings before Interest, Tax – operating profit) of USD 2.26 billion and the net income tripling to USD 1.03 billion in all its businesses combined.

The company is based out of Essen, Germany. The company claimed to have approximately 34,000 employees, in the year 2010 with production plants in 28 countries and offices located in all the six continents.

                                                                Exhibit: Revenue and Net Income
                                        Year                       Sales (USD in bn)                        Net income (USD in mn)
                                        2010                              18.8                                                   1,038
                                        2009                              14.8                                                    339
                                        2008                              22.5                                                    403
                                        2007                              20.4                                                   1,238

Business line, products and service offerings:
In the nanomaterials industry the company is working on a suite of products which are on research and development front. Some of those projects include:

  1. CarbonDis: This project involves the study of various nanomaterials and their inclusion in the polymeric materials the company develops
  2. CarbonCar: This project is aimed at the integration of many nanocomposites in the construction of airplanes and automobiles.
  3. CarbonPlate: This is aimed at the optimizing the existing fuel cell technology.

Strategic priorities:

The company has made huge investments in R&D. Its chemical business has diverted 85% of its expenditure to this. The remaining 15 percent of the expenditure goes into strategic research aimed at building up new high-technology activities outside the existing portfolio. In its strategic research within the Chemicals Business Area, Evonik pursues differing concepts:

  1. Project houses
  2. Internal start-ups to market newly developed products
  3. Science-to-business centers

Strategic Partners and Alliances :

To exploit the full potential of Carbon Nanotube technology to the full the Innovation Alliance CNT (Inno.CNT) has been created with the support of German Educational Ministry and Resarch (BMBF). The company is part of this 80 member alliance which includes industry players such as BASF, Altropol, Bayer technologies, Coperion, Q-Cells SE, Q-tec, etc.

Investors and Ownership Structure:

The company has two main shareholders namely:

  1. RAG – Stiftung – 74.99%
  2. CVC Capital Partners – 25.01%

Top Management:

  1. CEO – Dr. Klaus Engel
  2. CFO – Dr. Wolfgang Colberg
  3. Chairman of the Board – Wilhelm Bonse-Geuking

Recent news:

  1. March 30, 2011: Evonik Tego Chemie GmbH took over distribution of Nanoresins AG portfolio of Nanocomposites.
  2. March 3, 2010 : Evonik Industries had announced its acquisition of London based Membrane Extraction Technology (MET) Ltd.. The transaction had been completed by March 1, 2010.

Address:
Evonik Industries AG
Rellinghauser Straße 1—11
45128 Essen
Germany
Phone : +49 201 177-01
Fax: +49 201 177-3475
Website: www.corporate.evonik.com