MEMC is in the business of manufacturing and selling wafers and related products to semiconductor and solar industries. MEMC operates three business units: semiconductor materials, solar materials and solar energy. The company is also involved in the development of solar power projects and energy service provider.
MEMC was established in 1959 and was one of the first merchant manufacturer of silicon wafers at that time. The company is headquartered at St. Peters, Missouri, USA and other offices in South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, Italy, USA and Japan. The company has around 21 worldwide manufacturing, sales and support centers. The reported sales in the year 2010 were USD 3.6 billion and the company has workforce of approximately 5,600 employees. The revenue generated in the year 2010 is approximately USD 4 billion and USD 1.3 billion in the first quarter 2011. The company has more than 770 worldwide patents and 430 applications filed.
Business Line, Product And Service Offerings
- Polished Wafers: this is the key product of the company. These are wafers of crystalline silicon customized to meet customer specifications. These Prime Polished silicon wafers are used in broad range of advanced integrated circuit applications. These wafers are available in different forms that are: Advanta, Optia and Annealed wafers. Company also provides wafers for test and monitor to the customers.
- Epitaxial Wafers: these wafers meet the technological demand of semiconductor devices manufacturers. Epitaxial wafers are provided in various forms: standard CMOS, power/ discrete and custom epitaxial wafers.
- Silicon-On-Insulator: SOI is the starting material for chip making process which enables increases chip functionality.
- Magic Denuded Zone (MDZ): MEMC’s patented MDZ process and silicon wafers is the solution for the problem of controlling oxygen precipitation in all IC processes.
- Solar Wafers: MEMC engineered wafer technology as per the specifications.
Exhibit: Solar Wafers Manufacturing Process.
- The company also provides high resistivity and ultra-high resistivity wafers.
MEMC has established customer relationship in over 30 countries around the world. US, India and China will be the largest photovoltaic market in the future.
Industrial and Strategic Partners
MEMC is partnered with Texas Pacific Group and MEMC Singapore is partnered with Jusung Engineering Co., Ltd. MEMC has industrial link-ups with SEMI, WaferNet, Solid State Technology, The Electrochemical Society, FABTECH ChipShots (MICRO), Future Fab International, Semiconductor International, IEEE, Semiconductor Manufacturing, Semiconductor Business News, Silicon Strategies, Semiconductor Online, Electronic Business, SEMATECH and Materials Research Society (MRS).
- Ahmad Chatila- President and CEO
- Ken Hannah- Executive VP and President, Solar Materials
- Mark Murphy- Senior VP and CFO
- Dr. Shaker Sadasivam- Executive VP and President, Semiconductor Materials
- MEMC acquired Solaicx in 2010 and SunEdison in 2009
- On July 18, 2011, MEMC and SunEdison announced the creation of approximately 400 jobs for production of MEMC solar panels at Ontario.
- Jusung Engineering Co., Ltd. announced strategic partnership agreement with MEMC Singapore to build and operate solar cell production facility.
- The stock price of MEMC is approximately USD 13.1 as per July 26, 2011.
501 Pearl Drive (City of O’Fallon)
St. Peters, MO 63376