QD Vision produces nanomaterials and delivers displays and lighting solutions. The company claims to provide color, power efficiency and cost savings. The company was founded in 2004 and headquartered at Watertown, Massachusetts. The company employs around 40 people as of 2010. The company owns around 9 patents and around 120 patents are still pending. The company has received accolades, that are, Wall Street Journal Technology Innovation Award, Emerging Company of the Year by the New England Clean Energy Council, and AlwaysON Cleantech and Public awards. The company also owns Silver Edison Award for best new product.
Business Line, Product And Service Offerings
The company develops quantum dot solutions for backlighting mobile phones and mobile displays, as well as LCDs for desktop and notebook computers and LCD television screens for the display market:
- Quantum Light Platform- the company claims that the product platform provides color quality and efficiency for flat-panel displays, solid state lighting, consumer electronics products and national security.
- Quantum Light Optic- it enables LED lighting companies to produce lamps and downlight fixtures combining incandescent bulbs with LED technology. These became available in 2010. The company claims that the products can save energy up to 80% and 50,000 hours of product life.
- Displays- the company targets the products at consumer electronics industry, including mobile device market and LCDs for desktop and notebook computers and television. The initial application for the products account for more than USD 1.64 billion market by 2012.
The company is working with government agencies including the Department of Energy (DOE), the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) and the U.S. Army.
Future Market Prospects
The display market applications represent market exceeding USD 3.27 billion by 2014 for quantum dot-based components. The company is focusing on developing Quantum Light Solutions for display backlight units (BLUs) used in several markets, including cell phones, laptops and TV and computer monitors. The company projects to improve efficiency of LCDs up to 40%.
Strategic Partners and Investors
The company is partner with firms designing LED-based displays and lighting solutions, both in fixtures and replacement lamps.
The major investors are North Bridge Venture Partners, Highland Capital Partners, DTE Energy Ventures, In-Q-Tel, Passport Capital, Novus Energy Partners and Capricorn Investment Group.
- Jason Carlson- President and CEO
- Seth Coe-Sullivan- Founder and CTO
- Frank Hillery- Vice President, Finance
- The company closed USD 36.06 million round of financing to be used expanding volume production capacity and for long-term company growth as of May 25, 2011.
- The company announced advances in the efficiency and performance of its quantum dot LED (QLED) technology as of May, 2011.
- On November 30, 2010, QD Vision and LG Display signed joint development agreement focused on creating matrix displays based on electroluminescent quantum dot LED (QLED) nanotechnology.
313 Pleasant Street
Watertown, MA 02472-2491
Phone: (617) 607-9700