Salesforce.com is an enterprise cloud company. It was founded in 1999 by former Oracle executives to focus on Software as a Service (SaaS) model. The company has offices in 24 countries across the globe and is currently headquartered in San Francisco. It went public in June 2004 on NYSE. Its revenue stood at USD 1.66 bn in FY2011 with a market cap of over USD 18 bn. It’s employee strength stood at 5,306 (at Jan 2011).
Salesforce has two major business lines -CRM services and cloud platform. CRM services accounted for 94% of their total revenue in FY2011.
CRM services: Company’s CRM services are marketed under the following two brands.
- Sales Cloud: Sales force automation is marketed under this brand. The services cater to the requirement of managing existing and prospective customer information.
- Service Cloud: Customer services and support automation are marketed under this brand.
The company offered five service editions (levels) of the above brands to cater to clients with different requirements:
- Contact Manager Edition: Provides basic contact and customer management. Target segment – individuals and small business with limited needs
- Group Edition: Provides basic sales and sales force automation. Target segment – small business and workgroups
- Professional Edition: Provides complete CRM without advance features. Target segment – medium and large firms
- Enterprise Edition: Ideal for large business having advance requirements due to complexity because of various divisions / departments
- Unlimited Edition: This is the most fully featured edition.
Cloud Platform: This offering enables clients to develop and operate their own apps on company’s cloud platform.
- Force.com: is marketed under the cloud platform services. It provides tools to deploy applications, but also to create new ones and integrate them with existing infrastructure. The applications developed over Force.com can also be made available on App Exchange for other users to browse and use
Apart from the above subscription offerings, company also provides professional services such as consulting, implementation and training.
The company has executed two acquisitions in 2011 to strengthen its collaboration and communication platform – Chatter. It acquired Dimdin in 2011 and signed a definitive agreement to acquire Radian6 a social media monitoring platform. It also acquired Heroku, a Ruby based PaaS company to beef up its position in PaaS space..
- Chairman & CEO – Marc Benioff
- Executive Vice President, Technology – Parker Harris
The Landmark @ One Market,
CA, 94105, United States