Silver Spring Networks was founded in 2002 and provides energy efficiency products, smart grid networking and advanced metering infrastructure solutions to customers in United States. Silver Spring enables utilities to deploy a broad set of smart grid initiatives. This is a private company. In July 2011, the company filed for an IPO to raise USD 150 million . The company is headquartered in Redwood City, California, US with two more global offices in Brazil and Australia. As of 2009 the company had 500 employees.
Business line, products and service offerings:
Building a smart grid requires the products and services of multiple technology providers. The Silver Spring Smart Energy Platform provides the network, software, and services needed as the foundation. Some of the product lines are:
- Intelligent Endpoints: These are basically energy and gas metering devices along with a networking interface. These include the bridges that relay communications from Distribution Automation (DA) devices.
- Network Infrastructure: includes the Silver Spring Access Points (APs) and Relays that forward data from endpoints across the utility’s backhaul or WAN infrastructure into the back office.
- UtilityIQ Application Suite: incorporates both utility applications such as Advanced Metering and Outage Detection as well as administrative programs for managing and upgrading the network. GridScape, a part of this suite provides geographic management tools for DA (Distribution Automation) communications networks.
- CustomerIQ Web Portal: enables utilities to directly communicate usage, pricing, and recommendations to consumers. Silver Spring works with each utility to customize the information portrayed and to import utility-specific information such as rate schedules.
Chart : Solutions offered by Silver Spring Networks
Some key products and services of the company includes
- Business System Integration: For smoother integration of the different components from end to end.
- Hosting Choices: The company has taken a cloud approach to most of its software solutions by offering their UtilityIQ Suite as SaaS (Software as a Service).
- Mesh Designs: The company also effectively manages the mesh designs for faster deployment.
- Monitoring and Maintenance: Depending on the operating model the customer chooses the company offers technical support and expertise.
- Training: For different industrial clients training their personnel for the management of the system becomes important. The company offers training for these personnel.
Customers/ Industry Clients : Some of the major industry as well as utility clients include American Electric Power, Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE), Citipower & Powercor Australia, ComEd, Florida Power & Light Company, Guelph Hydro Inc., Indianapolis Power & Light company, Jemena, Modesto Irrigation District, OG & E Electric Services, pacific Gas & Electric, Pepco Holdings Inc., Public Service Company of Okhlahoma, Sacremento Municipal Utility District and Western Power
The company has tied up with many technological companies in the field of smart energy and smart grid to ensure greater operational efficiencies and faster deployment rates.
- Advanced Metering: Elster, GE Energy, Itron, Kinects Solutions, Landis + Gyr, Nansen, Secure
- Demand Response/Energy Management: Comverge, EnerNOC
- Distribution Automation: ABB,DC Systems, S&C Electric Company
- Electric Vehicles: ClipperCreek
- Home Area Networks and Devices: Carrier Corporation, Control4, Energate, Exegin, Invensys, LS Research, Onzo, Radio Thermostat of America, Tendril
- Networking: Cisco, Digi International, Sierra Wireless
- Software: eMeter, Freestyle Technology, GE Energy, Itron, OSIsoft, Oracle
The company was initially backed by many institutional investors and venture capital firms such as: Foundation Capital, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, WR Holdings, NCD Investors LLC, Contra Costa Capital, LLC, and JVB Properties, L.L.L.P, Google Inc. .
Top Management :
- CEO, President and Chairman – Scott Lang
- CFO – John R. Joyce
- 4 August, 2011 – Cable & Wireless Worldwide and Silver Spring Networks announced that they would be collaborating to accelerate the delivery of smart grid and smart metering in the UK.
- 7 July, 2011 – Silver Spring Networks, Inc. announced that it had filed a registration statement on Form S-1 with the Securities and Exchange Commission for a proposed initial public offering of its common stock.
- March 23, 2011 – Silver Spring Networks announced that Public Service Company of Oklahoma (PSO) would be deploying Silver Spring’s smart grid solutions.
Silver Spring Networks
555 Broadway Street
Redwood City, CA 94063