Solarmer Energy, Inc. develops plastic solar panels generating energy from sun. The company was founded in 2006 at the California NanoSystems Institute at UCLA. The company owns the license of the technology given by UCLA. The company is headquartered at El Monte, CA. The company expects the revenue from these products to be around half billion dollar by 2015.
Business Line, Products and Service Offerings
The company focuses on the major applications of plastic solar panels that are consumer and portable electronics, building-integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) and smart fabrics.
- Portable Electronics– the plastic solar panels for the portable electronics will be available in 2011. These are used for cell phones, MP3 player, PDAs, Digital Cameras, Toys, Remote Controls, GPS Naviation Systems and Bluetooth devices.
- Building-integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) – these solar panels are used in building structures such as windows, skylight, roofs and walls. The plastic solar panels for BIPV will be available in 2013.
- Smart Fabrics– the plastic solar cells will be used for smart fabrics and interactive textiles applications. The potential applications include clothing, tents and other textile products.
The company claims that the plastic solar panel technology is cost-effective, flexible, light weight and thin enabling new applications.
Exhibit: Solar Cell Technology
Source: Company website
The company has partners and collaboration with private and public organizations. The company seeks partners with polymer material developers, encapsulation technology providers and thin film coating manufacturers.
- Edward T. J. Chen- CEO, Chairman of the Board and Founder
- Woolas Hsieh- President and Founder
- Jennifer Yu- Executive Vice President and Founder
- Dr. Gang Li- Vice President, Enginering
- The company announced the OPV effiency of 8.13% breaking the psychological barrier as of July 2010.
- The company signed partnership with NREL for extending plastic solar cells lifetime on July 2010.
- The company is working on a project of building-integrated photovoltaics with Joel Berman Glass Studios as of April 14, 2010.
3445 Fletcher Ave
El Monte, CA 91731