How to Buy a Good Coconut?
Getting whole and unopened coconut is not difficult as they are easily available at the grocery stores. Rather getting a fresh and unmolded coconut takes a little detective work!
As not all the coconuts which are available at the grocery stores are good to eat, especially if one buys an imported coconut there is higher probability that the taste might not be as good and fresh coconut. This is because coconut is a tropical fruit and is other countries import coconut from tropical nations. As this involves shipping the coconuts to long distances, it sometimes take lot of time to reach to the end consumer. The wear and tear during the journey can also damage the coconut shell. Thus, be cautious while buying a coconut as not all are of great quality.
How to buy a good coconut
The factors which effects the quality of the coconut can be categorized under the heads like
- The age of the coconut
- The way the coconuts are handled
- The swishing sound of the coconut water while shaking it
- The presence of the mold on the coconut.
There are higher chances of the coconut being spoiled if the coconut is battered and has a crack on it. If the coconut has a crack on it there is a chance that there will be a mold on the coconut. Mold over the coconut can be identified with the presence of yellow and brown color patch when the coconut is opened . In such a case the flesh and the water of the coconut might taste really bad along with a bad odor. When buying a coconut it is recommended to look for these cracks on the shell of the coconut
Another thing which needs to be considered while buying a coconut is the presence of the white spots and the dampness of the coconut shell. If there are white spots or the shell is damp there is a possibility that the refreshing water of the coconut has leaked out through the cracks and a mold has developed in the coconut. Crack on the shell of the coconut result of the mishandling while transporting the coconuts to various places.
Also while buying a coconut always shake it, the sound of the water in the coconut is an indicator of the age of the coconut. If the sound is very low or no sound at all it means that there is no water inside the coconut and the coconut is old (or water has leaked out of a crack). In such a case the coconut might taste dry, tasteless and not refreshing, best known for. That is why it is always suggested to go for the coconut which makes a good swishing sound of the water.
While keeping all these points the chances of getting a spoiled and moldy coconuts decreases to an extent, and there are more probabilities of ending into a fresh coconut purchase.
How to store a coconut?
After the purchase of the coconut the storage is as important as buying it. The reason being that if the coconut is left out in open there are chances that the water of the coconut would evaporate gradually and the coconut might turn old.
It is because of this reason it is always recommended to keep the coconuts refrigerated after bringing to home. The older the coconut gets it is more likely to be bad. Also it is suggested not to keep the coconuts for a longer period in refrigerator and to consume it as soon as possible , because the freshness of the coconut might decrease on a longer duration storage.
Sometimes it happens that after taking all the precautions you might end with a purchase of a coconut with a small mold. A small mold is not harmful. In such a case one need not to be worried of consuming a molded coconut. It is so because if there are very small spots of a mould on the coconut ,it is an indication that it is the beginning o the development of the mold so the whole coconut is not infected by the mold. If such a thing happens then that small area of the mold can be cut off from the coconut and the rest of the coconut should be fine. However if the flesh of the coconut tastes bad , and the smell of the coconut is pungent and bad, then discharging the coconut into dustbin is recommended.
If a bad coconut is consumed, then it might result in an upset stomach to the people who are hypersensitive to molds. So neither the flesh nor the contaminated water should be consumed.