It is normal for everyone to lose about 20 to 100 strands of hair every day. However, losing more than this everyday can result in baldness which not only ruins the appearance but also make you look aged. Hair loss occurs due to various reasons such as hormonal imbalance, not taking proper care of hair, malnutrition, use of certain drugs such as those rich in vitamin A or those used for various diseases such as gout, blood pressure and antidepressants and even thyroid disorders can result in hair loss. Hair loss due to these reasons cannot be controlled totally but by offering external support it is possible to lessen the hair loss. Honey, nature’s food renowned for offering various benefits also helps to prevent hair loss. Here is an overview of benefits of honey for hair.
How honey acts to prevent hair loss?
Honey acts in two different ways to prevent hair loss.
- Acts as a humectant and prevents hair loss by preventing loss of moisture. The high sugar content of honey helps to retain water and thereby maintains moisture content of hair. In fact this moisture content helps to keep the cuticle soft.
- Anti-bacterial property : The anti-bacterial property of honey helps to have a healthy scalp. This in turn reduces the risk of dandruff and thus, hair fall.
Benefits of honey for hair
- Serves as an excellent hair conditioner : One of the interesting benefits of honey for hair is it serves as a conditioner to the hair. Mix honey and olive oil in the ratio of 1:2 and apply the mixture to hair thirty minutes before washing the hair. Adjust the quantity of the olive oil in the mixture depending on whether you have oily hair or dry hair.
- Makes the hair shiny and lustrous : Increased exposure to sun makes the hair dry and lusterless. This lost shine can be brought back with honey. Mix about 2 tablespoons of honey to two cups of warm water and spray the solution on the hair.
Precautions while using honey for hair
To enjoy the benefits of honey for hair without side effects such as tangling of hair due to sticky nature of honey it is essential to follow certain precautions.
- Use very less quantity of honey.
- Mix honey with oil for deep conditioning.
- Do not heat honey to enjoy its properties.
Simple and Easy Honey Remedies for hair Care
These honey recipes that can be made at home may not cure baldness totally but they definitely help to rejuvenate the skin of the scalp and even promote hair growth after prolonged use.
Honey and olive oil: Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon powder along with one tablespoon of Manuka honey and required amounts of olive honey to make the mixture as a paste. Now, massage the scalp with the paste and wash it off after 15-20 minutes. For better results apply it at least thrice a week.
- Another way of using olive oil and honey is to include a bit of mild shampoo along with it. This is an amazingly effective method to get clean, shiny and soft hair! This is also great for entangles hair.
- Honey and brandy: To a glass of vodka or brandy and onion juice add a tablespoon of honey and mix well. Massage this mixture on to the scalp everyday at night and cover the hair with a cap. Wash the hair thoroughly in the morning with a shampoo.
- Honey and onion juice: To ¼ cup of onion juice add one tablespoon of honey and mix well. Rub the mixture to the scalp every day and wash it off in the morning.
- Honey and egg yolk: Mix egg yolk with very little amount of honey say one tablespoon and massage the scalp and hair with the mixture. Allow it for thirty minutes and wash it off. This is a best and simple remedy for dry and dull looking hair.
Other home remedies to take care of hair
Using honey is great way hair care, but it gives better results if one can also modify its diet and routine to a more healthier one. Here are some easy and easily manageable tips for the same:
- Take nutritious and well balanced diet to enjoy good looking healthy hair. Include fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, sprouts, milk, whole grains, soybeans and fish in your diet. These foods not only improve health of the hair but also overall health.
- If you have oily hair and the problem of dandruff is worrying you then apply lemon juice to the hair fifteen minutes before washing the hair.
- Simple massage of the scalp with fingers improves blood circulation and prevents hair fall.
- Drink a small glass of spinach juice early in the morning at least twice or thrice a week for healthy looking soft lustrous hair.
- Drinking of plenty of water also helps to prevent hair loss.
Using honey for hair is not only natural and effective but also economical way for hair care. Honey based hair care remedies costs less than most of the general shampoos and conditioners do. Further it is natural and has no side effect what so ever! Make sure you are using a good quality honey and not artificial one while preparing these remedies.
The moisturizing property of honey makes it a natural humectant that can be safely applied to hair. Another important benefit of honey for hair is the antibacterial action which lets you enjoy healthy scalp. To enjoy these benefits of honey for hair consider using raw honey that is not subject to heat during processing. Thus, regular application of very little amount of honey to hair ensures shiny and healthy hair that does not fall before the completion of the growth cycle. Honey being safe natural product even pregnant women who suffer with hair loss due to hormonal imbalance can use it.