Honey is known for its excellent taste and amazing health benefits. The anti bacterial action of honey is so great that it can cure even chronic coughs in a short period compared to expensive antibiotics and other over the counter drugs. It is believed that daily intake of honey keeps body healthy free of ailments. To enhance the medicinal value it is often mixed with other ingredients such as cinnamon, lemon and even the plain water. Here is an overview of honey water and the benefits of having it daily.
What is Honey water and how to make it?
Honey water is nothing but a simple mix of honey and water. It can be prepared very easily within two to three minutes. Take approximately 250 ml of water in a tumbler. Add one tablespoon of honey to the water and mix thoroughly. If you are either diabetic or does not love much sweet then reduce the amount of honey. Choose liquid honey that is free of crystals for easy and complete dissolving. Avoid dark colored honey if you do not love strong taste. Honey varieties such as Heather honey are slightly bitter hence choose the honey variety that best suits your taste. To make it tastier you can also consider adding lemon juice.
Benefits of Honey Water
- Serves as instant energy source: one tablespoon of honey contains about 64 calories of energy. Hence, consumption of honey gives energy essential for workouts that most people practice early in the morning. Having a glass of honey water helps to relieve fatigue.
- Promotes weight loss: Serves as source of essential minerals and vitamins. These nutrients promote the metabolism of cholesterol and thereby aid in weight loss. By regulating the cholesterol levels it even helps to prevent cardiovascular disorders.
- Improves the moisture content of the body: Intake of water helps to maintain the moisture content of the body and even promotes the health of stomach.
- Supplies antioxidants: Honey contains antioxidants such as polyphenols capable of destroying free radicals. This in turn prevents early cell death i.e. aging. Thus, these antioxidants help to postpone the normal aging process.
- Serves as a substitute for sugar in dishes: Being sweeter than sugar it serves as a best alternative to sugar. If you are using honey water in the making of sweet dishes check the amount of water being used.
- Promotes body cleansing : Water, honey and lemon drink helps in cleansing of the body. This is accomplished by creating an alkaline environment thereby flushing out excess acids out of the body. Vitamin C content of lemon even helps to fight against infections efficiently by strengthening the immune system.
- Provides relief from cold : lemon, honey and water mix helps to relieve congestion commonly associated with chronic cold and cough. The syrupy texture of honey helps to soothe the mucous membranes of the throat.
- Prevents other commonly observed ailments: Regular intake of honey water prevents constipation, keeps blood pressure under control and even keeps the blood sugar levels under control. Diabetics who take limited quantities of honey report using lower dose of insulin.
- Exerts anti bacterial action : Mixing of honey with water is said to generate hydrogen peroxide by the action of enzyme glucose oxidase present in honey. This hydrogen peroxide serves as a strong anti bacterial agent. Best part is this natural antibiotic is free of side effects and is less expensive. After taking water the mixture gets diffused in the entire bloodstream within seven minutes and starts its action.
- Addition of cinnamon serves as a remedy for many ailments: Add very little amount of cinnamon to warm honey water and enjoy enormous health benefits. The mixture helps to prevent heart diseases, treats arthritis, fights bladder infections, reduces cholesterol levels, treats ulcers and even prevents aging.
To enjoy the benefits of honey water it is highly recommended to have it early in the morning on empty stomach.
Precautions to be followed while using honey water
If you are diabetic regulate the amount of honey added to the honey water. Do not use this sweet water for infants below one year of age as they are at risk of diseases such as infant botulism.
Honey water with anti bacterial, antioxidant and energizing effects is the best natural refreshing drink that can be had every day without the risk of side effects. As different varieties of honey are available you can enjoy different flavors. Start your day with this natural drink and stay away from all the ailments. It is safe and less expensive compared to expensive health drinks that promise to detoxify the body and keep you healthy.