Growing Mobile Subscription
Mobile has revolutionized todays tele-communication industry, among all ICT aspects, mobile is leading the growth path. In a short period of time mobile subscription have overtaken fixed telephone lines.
- In 2000, Fixed telephone lines subscriptions were outpacing the other ICT Subscription namely Mobile cellular telephone subscription, Internet users, mobile broadband subscription and fixed broadband subscription.
- In 2000, Fixed telephone lines subscriptions was around 16 per 100 habitants while mobile cellular telephone subscription, Internet users, mobile broadband subscription and fixed broadband subscription were 12, 6, 0, 0.3 per 100 habitants
Exhibit: Global ICT Development Trends – 2000-2010
- Year 2002 was a benchmark year in which Mobile Cellular Telephone Subscription took over Fixed telephone line subscriptions on the number of subscriptions per 100 habitants basis (it was around 18 per 100 habitants), since then Mobile Cellular Telephone Subscription is leading the Global ICT subscription market
- In 2007, Internet users subscriptions overtook the Fixed telephone lines subscriptions (around 20 per 100 habitants)
- From 2006 onwards, the mobile cellular subscriptions (per 100 habitants) has started increasing around 10 subscriptions per 100 habitants basis on a yearly basis and reached from 42 in 2006 to 78 subscriptions per 100 habitants in 2010
- From 2006 Onwards the gap between the subscriptions per 100 habitants between other ICT subscriptions and mobile cellular subscriptions is widening.
Exhibit: Mobile Cellular Subscription data in 2010
Exhibit: Mobile Cellular Subscription data per 100 habitants in 2010