What is Enterprise Mobility?
Today it is not hard to observe how mobiles and tablets are changing the way we live. These devices have not only revolutionized our personal lives but are also having profound impact on how business communicate.
Enterprise mobility in some sense was already there in past. bankers were using their Blackberry phones for emails and other applications. There were employees who were working from home etc. But the extent and ease of it came along with the revolution of smart phones and tabs. Smartphones and tabs with an ability like a mini computer and easy to handle have changed the landscape of enterprise mobility. In fact in many cases, mobiles are the new desktops!
With smart phones getting more powerful and accessible every day, enterprise mobility has started playing a crucial role in business communication and business itself. Enterprise mobility in a nutshell in using mobile devices, wireless networks and related gadgets in business context. For example, using mobile phones / handheld computers to quickly work on data and report to head quarters or running enterprise specific apps on devices required to run business smoothly. Lets understand enterprise mobility in some more detail.
Benefits of enterprise mobility
The benefits of enterprise mobility span to all kinds of businesses - business to business, business to employee and business to customers. Among all benefits of enterprise mobility, enhancement in productivity is one of the key ones.
Enterprise mobility ensures that the employees of an company are productive and efficient irrespective of their location. This means that employees always have access to important and essential information required to do business and applications / tools to do their work. A simple example can be excess to corporate emails for sales force which predominantly remains in field. Another example can be employees working from home offices with access to corporate servers, data, software and other important tools.
Various aspects of enterprise mobility
Enterprise mobility while with various benefits need proper management for it to work well. Some of the key aspects to be take care of include:
- Security : This is a key area of concern for enterprise mobility as mobile devices and tabs have higher probability of getting stolen than laptops and desktops. Thus data security is a high priority.
- Device management : Devices used for enterprise mobility need to be managed properly based on proper device management policy to ensure that proper restrictions are implemented and required permissions are provided wherever required.
- Applications : Make sure that the applications one can run over in office premises also run as close as original on mobile devices.
- Costs watch : costs have to be watched to ensure that devices are not misused
Basic steps for implementing enterprise mobility
Here are the basic steps for implementing enterprise mobility in a firm:
- Understand who will be using the devices and for what key purposes they will be using them - what applications they will be running etc.
- Finalize on devices to support - should you got for a particular brand of a particular mobile OS?
- Develop policies for enterprise mobility
- Implement network security
- Develop applications around users and needs
- Train the employees and support them when required
- Start centralized device management
- Start centralized application management
- Develop a team or identify vendor to develop new applications or remove bugs from the existing ones
Summing it all up..
Enterprise mobility is here to stay. One can already see how it is shaping communication and work style. With proper implementation enterprise mobility can be of great benefit to a firm.