Cree, Inc. develops and manufactures semiconductor materials and devices. The company claims to be an innovator of lighting-class Light-Emitting Diode (LED), LED lighting and semiconductor solutions for wireless and power applications. The company was founded in the year 1987 with the plan of introducing first blue LED. LEDs consume less energy and have longer life span and thus are considered to be part of green buildings initiatives.
The company is headquartered at Durham, North Carolina. The company’s production facilities are located in North Carolina and China, whereas the research and development facilities in North Carolina, California, Hong Kong and China and sales offices at Sweden, Japan, Malaysia, Germany and Taiwan. The company employed 4,298 regular full and part-time employees as of fiscal year 2010. The revenue in the year 2010 was USD 1.414 billion.
Business Line, Products Ans Service Offerings
The semiconductor materials and devices manufactured are primarily based on silicon carbide (SiC), gallium nitride (GaN) and related compounds.
- LED Products: various products are LED Chips, LED Components, LED Lighting and SiC Wafers. The LD products are used for indoor and outdoor arena video boards, billboards, traffic signals, interior automotive lighting and LCDs in wireless devices. The SiC wafers are sold to the corporate customers who manufacture optoelectronic, microwave, power switching and other appliances.
- Power and RF Products: the power devices are used for power supply, motor drive, UPS and hybrid electric vehicle applications. RF are microwave transistor devices for the purpose of amplifier applications for the telecom and military markets.
The major clients are Arrow Electronics, Inc and World Peace Industrial Co., Ltd. as their sales account for 19% and 11% of the total revenue in fiscal year 2010 respectively.
Austria, China, Germany, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden and Taiwan are the locations where the company provides various services.
Cree is partnered with Zumtobel lighting GmBH from 2008. Companies worked together to bring Led lighting to Europe.
The major investors are PRIMECAP Management Co., T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., BlackRock Fund Management LLC and Sands Capital Management LLC. These companies have more than 5% shares in the company.
- Chuck Swoboda- Chairman and CEO
- Ty Mitchell- Vice president and general manager.
- Dolph W. von Arx- Director
- The company acquired COTCO Luminant Device Limited in March, 2008 and LED Lighting Fixtures, Inc. in February 2008.
- On June 21, 2011, Cree announced a new family of seven 1200V Z-Rec silicon carbide Schotty diodes, available in a range of amperages and packages.
4600 Silicon Drive
Durham, NC 27703
Main: (919) 313-5300
US Toll Free: (800) 533-2583
Fax: (919) 313-5558