Engine Yard, Inc. a privately-held enterprise which was founded in 2006 by John Dillon and is based in San Francisco, California (USA). Engine Yard provides development and deployment platform for the cloud. With a unique combination of Ruby on Rails expertise, operations automation, open source community involvement, and world-class service, Engine Yard empowers businesses to build and run cloud-based applications. It enables developers to create applications and then deploy them on cloud services such as Amazon.
With around 80 employees, and revenue of 1M-5M (USD), Engine Yard is growing fast with revenue growth of 70% from Q1 to Q2 in 2010. Its other offices are located in Australia, Canada, Germany, Israel, New Zealand, Philippines, Slovenia, Spain and UK.
Engine Yard is backed by Benchmark Capital, New Enterprise Associates, and Amazon.com. Engine Yard has raised $37.5 million in funding till 2009, which has helped it build Engine Yard AppCloud, a Rails Application Cloud for cloud developers. Engine Yard’s platform offers simple, automated Rails deployment and management that makes for easy app migration.
Business line, product and service offerings:
- Engine Yard AppCloud provides Platform-as-a-Service for a range of Rails applications, from smaller-scale web applications that run within a single compute instance to large-scale applications.
- Engine Yard xCloud is an enterprise-grade Platform-as-a-Service that delivers operating system, database, application server, and more. It runs on Terremark’s infrastructure, xCloud providing flexibility while reducing the capital and operational expenses.
- Engine Yard Platform – Engine Yard has developed reference open source architecture which is comprised of technology components with known parameters for scalability, performance and reliability. The Engine Yard architecture treats the Rails application tier as stateless and scale-out.
To provide services, Engine Yard has partnered with various companies, for example, Engine Yard Platform Services are provided in partneship with Appcelerator, Assistly, Chargify, CloudKick, etc.
- Developer and Digital Agencies : 8ninths, ActiveSphere, Designwaves, Rails Dog, etc.
- Training Providers: Blazing Cloud, CabForward, Envy Labs, Webficient, etc.
- Strategic Alliance: Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Terremark.
Engine Yard deliver its product and services all around the globe which include Alliantist, Earth Aid Enterprises, Bleacher Report, FrontPoint Security, EnvyLabs to name a few.
- CEO – John Dillon
- CFO – Alan Cyron
- CTO and Co-Founder – Tom Mornini
- On May 18, 2011 Engine Yard released an updated version of the ngnix web server to AppCloud technology stack in addition to a few other minor stack updates.
500 Third Street
Suite 510, San Francisco