Rackspace is a hosting and cloud computing company established in 1998. It has its headquarters in San Antonio, Texas. The company earned total revenue of USD 780.6 mn in the year ending on Dec 31 2010 and a gross profit of USD 530.7 mn with a net income of USD 30.2 mn. The company has a market cap of USD 5.68 bn.
The company had 3,262 employees as of December 31, 2010. As of December 31, 2010 the company claims to have served more than 130,000 business customers and has managed more than 66,000 servers, 2,100,000 email accounts and 417,000 cloud hosting domains. It provides its services to small, medium as well as large sized businesses.
The product offerings of the company can be categorized as:
- Dedicated Hosting services: This product provides customers with management portal and tools that eases the customer from managing the data centre, hardware devices and operating system software from the customer. Being dedicated services, this is largely a recurring subscription-based business and is a core service offering.
- Cloud Computing services: it includes the combined computing services which are delivered on-demand over the internet. The company offers cloud hosting services that are priced on pay-per-use basis. The company at present offers Cloud Servers, Cloud Files, Cloud Sites, Cloud Services and Cloud Applications which includes email, collaboration and file back-ups.
- Email and Apps: It provides services such as, email hosting, file sharing and online back-up though this offering.
The company uses an approach of hybrid hosting which is a combination of dedicated hosting and cloud computing services. Company also provides hosted virtualized desktop platforms. The company provides customer support which is known as Fanatical Support. It includes choosing and testing the future employees, designing the customized solution and preparing the incentives for the team and the managers of the company.
Some of the customers of the company are: TweetPhoto, Inc., SkinnyCorp, Inc, Tstream Software, LivingSocial, Advanced Data Exchange, Bluetooth SIG, Safe Banking Systems, Service Internet Solutions etc.
The partners of the company are: Cloud Drop, CMDB Cloud, Cyber Duck, Infochimps, Jungle disk, Nayatek, Opscode, Postmark, SendGrid, Sonian, Standing Cloud etc.
- Chairman: Graham Weston
- CEO, President and Director: Lanham Napier
- Chief Technical Officer: John Engates
- Chief Operating Officer: Mark Roenigk
- May 23, 2011 Rackspace announced the launch of Rackspace hosted virtual desktop platform at the Citrix Summit 2011.
- March 8, 2011 Rackspace launched Rackspace Cloud Builders which provides training and certification, deployment services and support to enterprises through the team of OpenStack experts.
- March 1, 2011 Rackspace announced its enhanced Rackspace Partner Program.
- January 28, 2011 Rackspace announced its CloudU Program and Webinar series.
- January 12, 2011 Rackspace established strategic relationship with Akamai Technologies Inc which enables Rackspace to offer Akamai’s web acceleration and cloud optimization service as a part of its dedicated and cloud hosting portfolio.
- January 10, 2011 Rackspace was placed in the leaders section of industry assessment conducted by Gartner Inc.
- December 16, 2010 Rackspace acquired Cloudkick, the creator of web application for easy and efficient cloud-server management.
Headquarters: 5000 Walzem Road. San Antonio, TX 78218 United States