Scalent was a provider of infrastructure virtualization software solution to the enterprises. It was founded in the year 2003 and is headquartered in Palo Alto, California. The company was acquired by Dell Inc in 2010 and now it functions as a subsidiary of Dell Inc. The acquisition is expected to help Dell in competing in fabric based computing space.
The investors in the company are: Hummer Winbladv, JK&B Capital, FirstMark Capital and Credit Suisse. The customers of the company are usually large enterprises and SaaS providers. It offers its products directly as well as through resellers-Dell, EMC and Unisys.
The company’s product Scalent Infrastructure Manager (IM) can work with the enterprises existing servers, networks and storage. It provides:
- End-to-end provisioning of servers and connectivity to networks and storage
- Rapid provisioning of server images
- Server Identity Management for Network and Storage connectivity
- Automatic High Availability
- Easier deployment of virtualization
The company states that its product reduces the capital expenditure of enterprises by reducing the spare server count by 80% and reduces the operational cost by cutting down the power consumption upto 25%.
Some of the Scalent customers are: US Securities and Exchange Commission, Blackboard, AQR Capital Management, Santalucia, EDS and Wachovia.
The company has partnership in four areas: Infrastructure Software, Server & Storage Hardware, Network Hardware and Technical Services/Integration.
The partners of the company are: Dell, Red-hat ready, EMC, Unisys, Emulex, Qlogic, Cisco, Epoch, VMware and Oracle.
- CEO: Benjamin Linder
- CFO: Karen Randig
- CTO: Chandy Nilakantan
The company has been acknowledged with the following awards:
- Network World 10 Must-Have Virtualization Tools
- TechWorld.Com Awards 2008 Finalist
- NetworkWorld Top 10 to Watch in 2008
- SearchDataCenter.Com Product of the Year 2007
- InfoWorld 2007 Technology of the Year Awards
- AO100 Winner
- LinuxWorld Best Virtualization Solution
- Red Herring 100 Winner
- NetworkWorld Winner Top 10 Virtualization Companies to Watch
- Technology Innovation Best Practice Awards
Headquarters: Scalent Systems 1076b East Meadow Circle Palo Alto, CA 94303
Phone: 650 424 1222
Fax: 650 424 1237