Unidym Inc. is involved in manufacturing and application of carbon nanotube (CNT) based ink and conductive film products and CNTs. It is a consolidation of four companies involved in Carbon Nanotube technologies. The company was founded on the work of the late Dr. Richard Smalley, the Nobel Prize winning pioneer of carbon nanotubes, and Distinguished Professor George Gruner at UCLA. In 2000, Carbon Nanotechnologies Incorporated (CNI), a company specializing in carbon nanotubes was formed. In 2005, another company Nanopolaris was founded, with an eventual acquisition of Unidym (assets and name) in 2006. Unidym then went on to acquire CNI, ensuring a portfolio of around 90 issued patents The Company provides CNT-enabled products and specialized CNT materials.
Unidym is a privately held company with essential investments from key players in the semiconductor and nanotechnology industries. The company has its corporate headquarters in Sunnyvale, California along with an office in Moriya, Japan which caters to Japan & Asia Pacific regions. Unidym mostly caters to the needs of the electronics industries in North America and Japan, along with a few Solar cell technology companies.
Business line, products and service offerings:
Unidym is a vertically integrated company with production, purification, formulation, deposition, patterning and application under one roof which allows it faster market times and scalability. Unidym offers wide range of products involving Carbon Nanotubes. Currently the company is focusing on applications in electronics, but it also provides products for the life sciences, automotive, and energy industries.
The major products from Unidym are
- Specialty Carbon Nanotube Materials : These material offer conductivity, mechanical stability, and environmental resistance in numerous applications.
- Transparent Conductive Films (TCF): CNT based transparent TCF’s are replacing brittle and expensive indium tin oxide (ITO) films currently used in touch screens, LCD displays, solar cells, and solid state (OLED) lighting.
- Solar: TCF’s and CNT used for producing solar cells.
- Vertical Aligned Nanotube Array: used for thermal interface management.
Strategic Partners and Alliances:
Unidym has many partnerships and alliances with industry players such as Samsung Electronics, Nanointegris, Tokyo Electron, Guardian Industries, Nano-C, LG Display Electronics, Continental Carbon Company and Primegen Biotech LLC.
The company has four key investors, namely:
- Wisepower Co., Ltd. (acquired from Arrowhead Research Corporation for USD 140 million in January 2011).
- Tokyo Electron, Ltd.
- CEO and Chairman of the Board – Mark Tilley, Ph.D.
- Vice President of R&D – Dr. Chanming Niu
- Vice President, Operations – Ms. Marybeth Miller
- January 18, 2011 : Arrowhead Research Corporation’s subsidiary Unidym, Inc. was acquired for USD 140 million by Wisepower Co., Ltd., a publicly traded Seoul, Korea-based electronics company.
- December 8, 2010 : Unidym announced an alliance with Samsung Electronics with IP cooperation and licensing agreements.
- October 27, 2010 : Unidym and Nanointegris executed a global distribution agreement for HIPCO carbon nanotubes.
1244 Reamwood Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Tel: (408) 636-7500
Fax: (408) 636-7539
Email: [email protected]
Japan & Asia Pacific Office
686-44, Honcho, Moriya
Email: [email protected]