XG Sciences, Inc. manufactures and sells products based on xGnP® brand graphene nanoplatelets and also develops advanced multifunctional materials based on these nanoplatelets. XG Sciences was founded by Lawrence Drzal and the technologies developed were in large part at the Composite Materials and Structures Center in the Michigan State University College of Engineering. Many of the company’s patents are under license from MSU.
This is a privately held corporation and the company was incorporated in 2006. The company headquarters is in East Lansing, Michigan, USA.
Business line, products and service offerings:
The company specializes in the manufacture of xGnP® brand graphene nanoplatelets which are being used for polymers, fuel tank and fuel line coatings, electronic enclosures, automotive parts, appliances, sporting goods, Aerospace applications, coatings and paints, batteries and fuel cells.
Along with the manufacturing and selling of graphene based products, the company also works with compounders to provide Masterbatch formulations for thermoplastic and thermoset resins. The company also works on the research and engineering of polymers which possess properties of:
- Electro-static Dissipation (ESD)
- Electromagnetic and Radio-frequency Interference (EMI/RFI) applications
- Thermal conductivity
- Improved Impermeability (gases, fuels, solvents)
- Improved mechanical properties like stiffness or surface toughness
Industry clients and partnerships:
POSCO , the one of the largest steel producer had taken 20% stake and a partnership in the company as it had seen the complementary value of XG Sciences to its own business. XG Sciences provides POSCO with research and grapheme based products for POSCO’s electronics industry along with automotive and energy business in South Korea. POSCO and Hanwha chemicals have come together for setting up a graphene manufacturing facility in South Korea.
POSCO has a 20% stake in the company and another South Korean chemical company, Hanwha Chemicals has 19% stake in the company.
- CEO and President – Michael R. Knox
- VP of Operations – Scott Murray
- June 13, 2011: XG Sciences announced its partnership with POSCO. POSCO took 20% stake in the company.
- July 12, 2010: USD 1 million was awarded in funding by Hanwha Chemicals, a South Korean company to support Michigan State University spinoff XG Sciences.
XG Sciences, Inc.
815 Terminal Road
Lansing, MI 48906
Phone: (517) 703-1110
Fax: (517) 703-1113