Modern life is such that most people – students, working men and women, new moms, homemakers – are under stress much of the time. A simple cure is to try aromatherapy for stress for it can improve your mood, energize you and relieve other stress-related symptoms.
Many skin disorders are caused due to stress, and they respond very well to aromatherapy. Nervous system tension caused by stress-related conditions are helped by aromatherapy that induces relaxation by clearing congestion in the nerves and improve functioning of related nervous system organs and tissues.
Stress is caused due to various factors – job, death, examination, break-up of a relationship, birth of a baby etc. While the causes are many, the symptoms often manifest in the same ways such as – headaches, feelings of depression, anxiety, muscular pain, insomnia, fatigue, high blood pressure and such. Aromatherapy for stress management has been used for centuries.
Method of use essential oils for stress
There are many ways the essential oils benefit those under stress. Put 5-10 drops of essential oils into a tub of warm water and enjoy a relaxing soak. Place 5 drops of essential oils into boiling water, inhale the steam deeply for 10 minutes. Take a small bottle of your favorite essential oil when traveling on a business trip. Put 4 drops on a tissue and inhale 3-4 times a day to de-stress. At night to relieve stress and induce sleep, use a few drops of essential oils in a diffuser, on the pillowcase, bed sheets, clay candles etc.
Other ways of benefiting from aromatherapy for stress include indulging in a Swedish massage that can release tension from muscles and relax the body and mind. Aromatherapists who employ Swedish techniques use long, gentle strokes that can increase blood circulation and loosen tense muscles. Swedish techniques like effleurage and petrissage rely on circular motions using gentle kneading that target areas of tension.
Top Essential Oils for stress relief
During times of stress, the following essential oils help to relieve the symptoms such as anxiety, depression/guilt, helplessness, insomnia/restlessness, nervous tension/irritability and tiredness/exhaustion and soothe the mind and body.
- Roman Chamomile oil is highly sought after for its calming properties. With mandarin and lavender this is the preferred oil to soothe restless children. A small quantity of this oil is sufficient to relieve tension and stress.
- Neroli is extremely important oil in aromatherapy for stress. It is useful in treating anxiety and depression.
- Sandalwood: Depression interferes with every day life and creates feelings of anger, sadness, frustration etc. Aromatherapy massages using essential oils can supplement other treatments for depression for it helps to relax body and mind. Sandalwood oil is an excellent choice to relieve depression.
- Geranium can be fruitfully used for treatment of anxiety, feelings of anger and depression.
- Ylang Ylang : One of the best known medicinal uses of ylang ylang is as an anti-depressant to deal with symptoms of depression, relax the body and soul and drive away feelings of sadness, depression and anxiety. It is an effective treatment for those having a nervous breakdown or depression after an accident or shock.
- Bergamot oil is an excellent oil to use when depressed, to soothe the nerves, and reduce stress, anxiety and nervous tension.
- Clary Sage This bright, herbaceous and earthy oil is extracted using steam distillation and provides relief for exhaustion and stress.
- Lavender : Listed in the ‘Top 10 Essential Oil’ types, this is an oil favored by many people for its versatile aroma, sedative, calming and anti-bacterial properties. It is wonderful oil that helps fight stress, relax and promote sleep. Be careful with usage for excess will act as a stimulant.
- Jasmine: Depression and exhaustion – both symptoms of stress get relief with the use of jasmine that has a warm, floral and exotic aroma.
- Other Essential oils that provide stress relief are: palma rosa, jonquil, basil, cypress, frankincense, juniper, Melissa, nutmeg, grapefruit, sandalwood, rose, vetivert, rosemary, petitgrain, marjoram, lemon, valerian, cedar wood, cinnamon, and peppermint.
A Recipe for stress relief
Here is a good blend that can improve anxiety and soothe stress.
- Highlander lavender – 6 drops
- Vanuatu Sandalwood – 4 drops
- Bergamot – 3 drops
- Ylang Ylang – 2 drops
Apply this blend on temples or wrists and you can immediately be free of tension. Dilute the same blend with carrier oils like sweet almond and it can immediately transform to massage oil. Use in a diffuser and fill the room with a wonderful aroma that relaxes the mind.
Everyone goes through stressful periods at various points in their lives. Aromatherapy for stress relief provides tremendous benefits and using it will help you control these stressful situations and prevent them from getting out of hand. So, use various aromatherapy techniques and blends of essential oils to boost your mood, energize your body and relieve your mind of stress.