Sometimes we think that the best treatments ought to be expensive. We are willing to spend on expensive medical remedies or buy the latest creams, gels or lotions that manufacturers swear will get rid of acne in a few weeks – all to no avail. Sometimes the best ingredients to cure acne can be found closer to home – in our own kitchens. Homemade acne masks can be made from simple inexpensive ingredients and many of them work very well to clear acne and prevent future outbreaks.
Great Homemade acne facial masks!
Cucumber face mask and pack
Make a paste using one cup oatmeal and one small cucumber. Take 1 teaspoon of the paste and combine with a teaspoon of yoghurt. Apply this homemade acne mask to you face, leave for 30 minutes and then rinse.
For the face pack, you can mash a whole cucumber, strain out the juice, to which you add a tablespoon of sugar. Mix well, apply on the face and wash off with cold water after 10 minutes. This facial mask is cool and soothing that helps alleviate inflammatory symptoms of acne.
Yeast and Yoghurt
This is an excellent facial mask for oily skin, which is more prone to acne outbreaks. Take 1 teaspoon brewer’s yeast to which you add enough plain yoghurt to make a thin mixture. Apply this to your oily skin, leave for 15-20 minutes and rinse with warm water. Immediately rinse with cold water that will close pores. This mask will reduce excess oil on the face.
Lemon and Egg
This very popular facial mask provides an all-round boost for your skin. Beat the white of one egg, squeeze the juice of half a lemon and apply on the face. This mask can be left overnight and washed with warm water in the morning.
Turmeric is a popular facial mask used in India and is a good treatment for acne. The ingredients include 2 teaspoons turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons sandalwood powder, almond oil or ghee and ½ cup chickpea flour. Mix all the ingredients and add sufficient water to make a smooth paste. Apply on the face and leave for 5-10 minutes before rinsing well with water.
This is a wonderful homemade acne mask. Honey has been used for centuries to cure acne and other scars and skin blemishes. Honey can be used independently or in combination with other ingredients to make facial masks that can soothe acne. It is natural, harmless and does not contain any harsh chemicals.
For a plain honey mask, take some filtered honey and apply a layer on your face. Wash off after a few minutes. Honey is an anti-oxidant and anti-microbial. The stickiness in honey draws away all dead skin, dust and microbes. The wax in honey makes skin glow and become moist and shining.
Anyone allergic to honey or other ingredients must avoid them. Honey masks take time to work and are drippy and messy. Use Manuka honey to get the best effects. All masks must be left on the face for at least 15-30 minutes before rinsing. Do not use soap when rinsing off the masks. Just lukewarm water will do. The following are some simple facial masks using honey as the base.
- Apple Honey Mask – Requires one medium sized organic apple, 4-5 tablespoons organic honey and lukewarm water. The apple has to be de-seeded and ground to a pulp and then added to the honey.
- Milk / Honey / Yoghurt / Lemon – 2 tablespoons each of fresh milk and honey, juice of one lemon and 1 tablespoon yoghurt.
- Cinnamon Honey Mask – 3-5 tablespoons cinnamon powder and enough honey to make a paste.
- Aloe Vera and Honey – 1 tablespoon each of honey and aloe vera mixed well
- Kelp / Honey / Aloe Vera – 1 tablespoon each of aloe vera and honey mixed with 1 tablespoon of kelp powder to make a smooth paste. Kelp is seaweed that is a natural detoxifier.
- Tea Tree Oil and Honey – Add sufficient quantities of both ingredients to apply on the entire face. Tea tree oil has antiseptic, anti-microbial and fungicidal properties. It is very strong and can cause irritations. Pregnant women must avoid using tea tree oil masks.
- Aspirin and Honey – Aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties and is a skin conditioner. Just crush 1-2 aspirin tablets with enough honey and water and apply on the face. Aspirin cannot be used for long periods as it can dry the skin and give it a yellowish tinge. Make sure aspirin suits your skin before using it.
This is a simple and effective homemade acne mask. Oatmeal combats oily skin, dead skin and bacteria. It exfoliates dead skin cells, constricts skin pores and cleanses the skin with its astringent properties. Grind ¾ cup oatmeal, add a cup of water and boil it. Cook this mixture for a couple of minutes and cool it. Wash your face and pat dry. Secure hair away from your face. Now, spread the oatmeal mixture over your face allowing it to dry for at least 20 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water. Use this mask for a few weeks and you will see a marked improvement of your skin. You can vary this mask by adding tea tree oil or honey to the mask.
Strawberry face mask
Strawberries have excellent anti-oxidant properties besides being rich in vitamins, minerals and salicylic acid. Remove the green leaves and slice the strawberries into small pieces. Mix this with honey and egg white in a blender to get a smooth paste. Spread evenly on the face and wash after 15-20 minutes. The remainder of the mixture can be kept in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for a week and used again.
So, treat yourself to a homemade acne mask using any of the above simple, inexpensive and easy-to-get ingredients. You can keep acne at bay and have healthy, rejuvenated, moisturized and glowing skin. One precaution one should always take, try doing a patch test if your skin is very sensitive and in case of any adverse effects, stop using and visit a doctor immediately.