Wheatgrass refers to the young shoots of wheat before the formation of head with grains. Wheatgrass juice is better compared to other green vegetable juices as one ounce of wheatgrass juice contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids that are present in 2.5 ounces of green vegetable juice. Nutrient composition and its wonderful healing properties make gluten free wheatgrass a super food. The detoxification and antioxidant properties make it an effective medicine in the treatment of diseases such as ulcerative colitis and breast cancer. With pH of 7.4 it is alkaline in nature and gets absorbed in to the body easily enabling the body to perform well.
Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice
- Increases RBC count : Chlorophyll molecule present in wheat grass is similar in structure to that of the hemoglobin molecule present in human blood. The only difference is chlorophyll of wheatgrass contains magnesium and hemoglobin contains iron. So, body only needs to replace magnesium of chlorophyll with iron to convert it in to hemoglobin which is a very easy process. Thus, intake of the grass juice helps to increase the hemoglobin percentage very easily.
- Regulates blood pressure: By dilating the blood vessels it helps to keep blood pressure under control. It even aids in the removal of poisonous carbondioxide and promotes release of free oxygen.
- Offers vital nutrients : Wheatgrass is a source for vitamins A, B-complex group of vitamins, C, E and minerals such as calcium, selenium, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. It is also a source of essential amino acids and enzymes supporting the metabolic reactions.
- Possess healing properties: The antibacterial, antiviral action and ability to promote cell regeneration of chlorophyll contained in wheatgrass aids in faster healing.
- Supports detoxification: Promotes removal of toxins such as harmful chemicals, heavy metals and carcinogens liberated in to the blood stream by the cells of the body due to various metabolic reactions. Hence, it aids in detoxification process and promotes overall health.
- Reduces the risk for cancers: Chlorophyll also serves as a strong antioxidant and helps in removal of free radicals. Thus, it protects the genetic material from oxidative damage which is the major cause for a variety of cancers.
- Prevents diseases: Bacteria generally need acidic environment to grow. Chlorophyll prevents the growth of harmful bacteria by creating an alkaline environment in the blood. Because of its antiseptic nature gargling of wheatgrass juice offers relief from cold and cough. It is used in the treatment of wide variety of respiratory, digestive, gum related and skin diseases. It even helps in the treatment of fatigue and insomnia.
- Boosts the immune system : By providing all essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals it energizes the body and also boosts the working of immune system.
Making of wheatgrass juice
To retain the health benefits of wheatgrass, it should not be grinded in mixer or blender as the sharp blades cut the chlorophyll of the grass and make it useless. Consider using electronic juicer or mortal and pestle. The process of making the juice is simple.
- Cut the leaves half a length from the surface of the ground.
- Now slowly mince the leaves using pestle. Add water as and when required for grinding the leaves in to smooth paste.
- Extract the juice by filtering the contents through a muslin cloth.
- Repeat the process using the filtrate until the leaves turn white.
Juicing helps in the release of nutrients in to a more easily digestible form. People suffering with constipation can also take the white fibrous content left after extracting the juice as it helps to relieve constipation.
Dosage of wheatgrass juice
The quantity of juice taken should be gradually increased. 100ml of juice per day should be sufficient in general conditions. People suffering with chronic diseases should taken only 25-50ml per day and then gradually increase the dose to 250-300ml. Once the disease gets cured the dosage has to be reduced back to 50ml per day as high dosage can result in diarrhea. In case of any complaints dilute the juice and stop taking the juice if the symptoms persist for more than two to three days. For best results take the juice early in the morning and avoid eating or drinking anything until half an hour after having the juice. This will allow complete absorption of juice in the intestines.
Wheatgrass juice is better than juices
- Easy to grow even at home unlike other herbs such as alfalfa which spread their roots deep in to the ground.
- Tastes good that is neither pungent nor bitter like that of alfalfa juice or barley grass juice.
- Good amount of juice can be obtained even from very little amount of wheatgrass.
- Contains a balance of all nutrients and hence, safe to consume without the risk of diarrhea that is common with mineral rich herbal drinks such as Palak juice.
- Available throughout the year.
Wheatgrass offering numerous benefits is considered as the best diet for those who should not take gluten as the protein gluten gets broken in to amino acids during sprouting. Wheatgrass juice is the best drink to have for a healthy body.