Majority of women try expensive cosmetics to enjoy healthy glowing skin or to get rid of dark blemishes that develop due to skin conditions such as acne. It is possible to have good looking blemish free skin by using ingredients available right in your kitchen. Here is an overview of using honey mask made using honey and other natural ingredients.
Properties of honey helpful for face skin
Antibacterial action: The antibacterial action of skin helps to fight germs and prevents skin infections. It even reduces the inflammation and swelling developed due to existing infections.
Ability to retain water: The ability of honey to retain moisture helps to retain water making it a best ingredient in creams, moisturizers and other beauty products.
Antioxidant property: Antioxidants present in honey fight against the aging effects to give a young looking healthy skin. It even helps in fighting damage caused by UV rays.
Making of a variety of honey masks
Honey masks are greatly used to treat acne that is caused due to bacterial infection. You will not obtain desirable results by using honey for acne caused due to other reasons. However, you can get rid of dark blemishes. Here are few honey masks that are made using various ingredients to treat different skin conditions such as oily skin, dry skin, acne prone skin etc.
- Honey- olive oil-egg mask : Take one teaspoon of honey in to a small bowl and add one teaspoon of olive oil to it. Mix both the ingredients thoroughly. Now, slowly add egg yolk to it. Addition of egg yolk gives a creamy texture to the mask making it easy to apply. Olive oil used in mask helps in cleansing of the skin pores and nourishing of the skin. Egg yolk helps to get rid of the greasy shine off your face. Now apply the mask to the facial skin and cover it with cucumbers for well nourished healthy looking skin. Wash the skin after twenty minutes with warm water.
- Apple honey mask : Take a medium sized apple cut in to pieces and grind them. To the paste add required quantity of honey approximately three to four tablespoons. Now apply the paste and wash it after ten to fifteen minutes. For better results use it fresh. If you wish to use it later keep it refrigerated. The glycolic acid present in apple helps in removal of dead skin and the antioxidant and antibacterial properties of honey fight the aging signs and bacterial growth in skin pores.
- Milk yoghurt honey lemon mask: Mix two tablespoons of honey, two tablespoons of fresh milk, one tablespoon of yoghurt and lemon juice taken from one lemon. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly to make a creamy lotion. Now, apply a layer of this lotion to the face. Apply another layer of the lotion after the first layer dries up. Repeat the same until the entire lotion gets completed. After the entire application process is done wash the face with lukewarm water after a minute. All the ingredients used in this mask serve as cleansing agents. Yoghurt serves to soften the skin.
- Avocado and honey mask : Mix two tablespoons of avocado flesh, two tablespoons of honey and one egg yolk in a blender or with hand in a bowl. Spread the solution to face and wash it off after thirty minutes. This is an anti-aging honey mask works best for those with dry skin.
Precautions to be followed while using honey mask
1. Use the lotions fresh immediately after preparing.
2. Consider using organic ingredients such as organic apple, organic honey to avoid side effects due to harmful chemicals.
3. Use only filtered honey as raw honey contains pollen grains, dust and bee hair that cause allergic reactions in few people.
4. If possible use Manuka honey with highest antibacterial activity.
5. Do not forget to splash cold water after washing with lukewarm water to tone your skin and make the muscles firm.
6. Test the solution for allergic reactions after mixing all the required ingredients.
Use of honey mask that can be made from the ingredients available in your kitchen cabinet is not only good for skin but is also less expensive. If you are suffering with acne then consider using honey mask rather than those expensive bitter pills and greasy lotions filled with harsh chemicals. If you do not have time to make these honey masks mixed with other ingredients consider using honey alone as mask to clean the pores thoroughly and to prevent bacterial growth. The bee wax present in honey makes the skin soft and glowing. Do not use any of these honey masks if you are allergic to honey or any other ingredients. Test yourself by using a very small amount on hand before applying on face.