Long term persisting acne can be very frustrating. In few cases, scars may also develop and ruin the appearance of the face. Acne develops due to the hormone testosterone that causes oil glands to produce more oil. This additional amount of oil, the dead skin cells and bacteria together form a plug that blocks the skin pores. This blocking of the skin pore causes pimples or acne. Apart from hormonal imbalance other factors such as stress, strong emotions and lack of sleep also cause acne. Acne sufferers try various cosmetics and medications in an attempt to get rid of it. But, majority of them are unaware of the fact that simple precautionary steps and use of honey can give relief from acne. Here is an overview of benefits of hone for acne.
Benefits of Honey for Acne
Some of major benefits of honey in acne are:
- Helps to maintain the skin moist naturally : The natural humectants present in honey help the skin in retaining the moisture. Thus, prevents acne that is seen in people with excessively dry skin.
- Nourishes the skin : The nutrients such as vitamins and minerals present in honey nourish the skin. As a result, the skin will easily fight back bacterial infections preventing or reducing the risk of acne even if you have excessively oily skin.
- Serves as a cleansing agent : One of the wonderful benefits of honey for acne is its ability to absorb impurities from skin pores. By absorbing dirt from skin pores it ensures deep and thorough cleansing of the skin ultimately reducing the risk of acne.
- Supports rejuvenation of skin: The anti-oxidant property of honey protects the skin from UV rays and it also supports rejuvenation of damaged skin cells. It even helps in elimination of free radicals that in turn helps to have a healthy body as well as skin.
- Has anti-bacterial action : The sugars present in honey absorb the water present in the wounded region. The water in turn results in formation of hydrogen peroxide that possesses the anti-bacterial action. However, the mild form of hydrogen peroxide formed in honey does not cause damage to skin.
- Stimulates the immune system activities : Interesting benefits of honey for acne is its ability to stimulate the immune system process such as lymphocytic and phagocytic activities.
- Possess healing property : Generally acne outbreaks heal gradually without the need for medications or other home remedies. But, sometimes the outbreak may be very severe and painful. In such cases application of honey heals the wounds by killing the bacteria and even prevents the risk of scars.
- Smoothens the skin : Acne prone skin looks lumpy and the white papular eruptions make it look even worse. Application of honey helps to clear the infection and makes skin smooth. Bee wax present in honey also helps in smoothening of the skin.
In view of benefits of honey for acne, honey is being used in many expensive commercial cosmetics such as skin care products, sunscreen lotions, scrubs, moisturizers and also baby care products. However, people who are allergic to honey should not use either raw honey or cosmetics with honey to treat acne.
Other measures to be taken to prevent acne breakouts
- Wash the face twice a day with mild soap. Make sure to use non-comedogenic soaps and cleaners to prevent acne from getting worse.
- Consider using oil-free sunscreen lotion.
- Do not rub the face hard. Gently tap the face with dry and soft cloth to dry it after washing.
- Do not disturb the pimples as it increases the risk of scarring.
- Tie the hair properly so that it does not fall on face.
- Keep the hair clean and oil free.
- Maintain good personal hygiene.
- Make it a habit to change the pillowcases and bed sheets quite often.
Honey based remedies for acne prone skin
Some simple honey based remedies for acne skin:
- Raw honey: Apply raw honey to the affected part and leave it for about half-n-hour to obtain good results. Raw honey cleanses the skin thoroughly by absorbing the dirt from the skin pores. Honey varieties such as raw Manuka honey not only help in cleansing the skin but also get rid of pimples. Thus, periodic application of raw honey reduces the risk of acne scars.
- Honey-cinnamon paste: Honey-cinnamon paste is considered beneficial for those with heart diseases. But, this paste also treats acne effectively. Gently apply this face mask to the affected area or the face and allow it for one hour. Later wash the face with lukewarm water. Consider using this paste for two weeks to treat acne successfully.
- Honey-cucumber juice : Extract juice from cucumber by blending it in a grinder. To the juice add honey and mix thoroughly. Now, apply the juice to the face twice a day using a cotton pad.
- Honey-almonds and oats scrub: Mix one tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of freshly ground almonds and 2 tablespoons of dry oatmeal along with lemon juice or yogurt. This face mask serves as a very good exfoliating mix. Massage the mixture gently onto face and later wash it with lukewarm water. Honey ensures deep cleansing of the skin whereas oats and almonds make the skin soft.
- Apple-honey face mask: Blend one cored apple in a mixer with one tablespoon of honey. Grind the apple to make it very smooth. Apply the mixture to the face, allow it for fifteen minutes and then rinse with warm water for clean, smooth and radiant looking skin.
- Aloe Vera, kelp and honey face mask : Mix one tablespoon of kelp powder and one tablespoon of Aloe Vera powder with one tablespoon of honey. Apply the mixture gently to face and wash it after ten minutes with cold water. Make sure to not use soap for washing. Kelp serves as a moisturizer as well as detoxifier. The hard particles present in the kelp powder help in removing the dead skin cells. But, the high iodine content of kelp causes allergic reactions in few people. To avoid the risk of pollutants such as lead it is essential to use kelp derived from non-polluted areas.
- Honey, tea tree oil face mask: Mix two drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of honey thoroughly. Apply the mixture to affected region and wash it off with lukewarm water after twenty minutes. The anti-bacterial, anti-septic and anti-fungal properties of tea tree oil helps to fight bacterial infections. Consider using this mask twice or thrice a week for better results.
In most of the cases the benefits of honey for acne are visible in a few weeks but It is always recommended to consult a dermatologist if it do not seem working or if the acne is getting worse.
Benefits of honey for acne are numerous. It is one of best herbal remedies against it. Make sure to use raw organic honey in all these facial masks to completely harness the benefits of honey for acne.