Majority of us love to have orange juice or have orange as such. How would it be to have this sweet orange taste in the form of honey?
What is orange honey?
Honey derived from citrus nectars present in bright white flowers of orange tree is termed as orange honey. It has a very sweet taste. It is mainly produced in France, Italy, Mexico, France, Spain, United States and Israel. Properties of Orange honey:
- Tastes sweet with a light citrus taste.
- White to pale amber in color.
Free of fats and cholesterol. Contains sugars such as fructose and glucose and antioxidants.
Benefits of Orange honey
Apart from the mild sweet taste of this citrus honey it has medicinal value that makes it a preferred variety of honey by many. Here is a short list of benefits of orange honey:
- Provides valuable nutrients: Like other varieties of honey citrus honey also contains trace amounts of minerals such as Zinc, calcium, boron, selenium, manganese, copper, sodium, magnesium and potassium. However, the quantity of these minerals varies with the geographical location from which the bees gather honey. Dark colored varieties contain higher amounts than light colored ones. All these minerals help in maintaining electrolyte balance in the body. Sugars present in honey serve as good source of energy. One tablespoon of honey offers about 64 calories .
- Serves as powerful antioxidant: Flavonoids present in this honey serve as strong antioxidants and help in eliminating the hazardous free radicals from the body. They even possess anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties.
- Boosts immune system: Raw from of this honey serves as strong anti-bacterial agent. It is found to act against various bacterial strains such as E.Coli and Staphylococcus that are associated with majority of commonly observed bacterial infections.
- Good at healing wounds: The anti-bacterial properties as well as the high sugar content of this honey aids in faster wound healing. The anti-bacterial property kills bacteria while the high sugar content absorbs moisture content and fastens healing of wounds.
- Makes delicious cuisine : Being mild in taste it serves as a good replacement to sugar in tea. It also enhances the taste of salads and morning cereals. Drizzling of citrus honey to roasted poultry or pork makes it delicious.
- Increases the shelf life of baked products : The mild taste of this honey often makes it a best addition instead of sugar while baking. It not only gives a unique flavor and taste to cakes but also helps to keep them moist. The natural moisture present in honey prevents the baked products from becoming dry and musty.
Orange blossom honey in cooking
The mild sweet taste with citrus tinge makes it a best addition to many varieties of recipes.
This is a very simple recipe that can done in very short time but tastes great. To make this salad you need Broccoli, grated cheese, onion, mayonnaise, and vinegar.
- 2 bunches of finely chopped Broccoli.
- 2 cups of finely grated cheese.
- 1 medium size onion chopped to small pieces.
- 2 teaspoon of vinegar.
- 1 full cup of mayonnaise.
- 3 teaspoon of orange honey.
First mix the chopped broccoli and onion along with cheese thoroughly and set aside. Now, take a separate bowl and mix vinegar, mayonnaise and orange honey thoroughly. Add this mixture to vegetable mixture just before having the salad.
Ingredients required for making orange honey Madeleines include all purpose flour, teaspoon baking powder, kosher salt, eggs, sugar, orange blossom honey, vanilla extract, grated orange zest and unsalted butter that is melted and cooled.
- Mix all purpose flour, salt and baking power separately in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs and sugar thoroughly with the help of an electric mixer for about four minutes until it forms as a thick mixture.
- Beat in vanilla, honey and orange zest in to the egg mixture.
- Fold the dry ingredients gently and add butter into the batter slowly. Chill the batter for about three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Apply butter to the Madeleine molds and add batter to the molds. Bake the batter until it turns golden yellow for about ten minutes.
Now, the ready to eat warm Madeleines can served with Ginger yogurt Mousse or Pistachio Meringue.
Lastly, Orange honey offering enormous benefits is safe to use and is also well tolerated by majority of the people. However, those who are allergic to citrus fruits should stay away from this honey. It is also recommended to consult the physician before using it in treatment of major ailments. To avail the benefits of orange honey it is essential to choose raw citrus honey that is not subject to processing methods such as pasteurization or purification. To obtain genuine raw honey choose certified as well as renowned brands.