Platform-as-a-service (PaaS) is one of the three main categories of cloud computing service. PaaS adoption is gaining pace because of its benefits but there remain a few inhibitors / barriers.
Top 5 barriers for PaaS adoption are:
- Vendor lock-in: In vendor lock-in customers are dependent on a single vendor for some product or solutions. PaaS while requiring certain infrastructure, tools or framework to implement posses the vendor lock in situation.
- Sometimes limits on expansion: If the vendor has certain limitations or the underlining infrastructure or on the top applications has certain limitations, in turn imposes limitation on the PaaS.
- Easy of integration with the legacy platforms and systems: the PaaS solution offered by the vendor should be easily integrate-able with the legacy platforms and systems
- Low enterprise PaaS readiness index : The overall platform analysis -the cloud readiness of the enterprise and IT platform for going or adapting cloud should be high.
- Unproven pricing model – As the PaaS model is emerging hence has limited success stories and so the pricing model is still not emerged as an standard pricing model for PaaS.